The Grissim Guides to Manufactured Homes and Land

Book Excerpts

A sampling of glossary terms

Dry wall: sheets of gypsum, usually 4’x8’ in varying thicknesses coated with paper or vinyl and attached to wall studs and/or ceilings. Also called wall board when covered with patterned vinyl or paper.

Double-wide: A two-section home

FF: Frost-free. Refrigerators that do not need to be de-frosted, typical of better quality refrigerators

Floor: Industry jargon for a section. A double-wide consists of two floors. Factory output is measured by the number of floors produced per day or week.

Floor joists: structural members placed perpendicular at regular intervals between floor beams to form the floor structure

Full-finish: Dry wall that has been taped, prepped, primed and given at least one coat of paint.

GFI: Ground fault interrupt. Special wall plug outlets, usually in wet areas such as kitchens and bathrooms, that are built to instantly shut off in the event of a short circuit, to prevent electrical shock. Required by the HUD-code.

Gypsum: see Dry wall

Hardiplank, Hardipanel: Trade names for James Hardie siding, made from fiber cement, in many patterns and finishes, well regarded.

HUD code: The building code established by the federal Department of Housing and Urban Development for the production of manufactured homes.

HVAC: Heating, ventilation, air conditioning.

In-line registers: Floor registers that are located in the middle of the floor (instead of along the perimeter or ceiling)....